Student Number @gpschools.com Password: GPPSS password
Below are the permission forms for parents to sign so that their students can have access to Google Apps for Education in the Grosse Pointe Public School System (GPPSS). Here are some answers to frequently asked questions:
Why use Google Apps for Education?
• To provide students with access to current technology applications and free tools designed for collaboration with other students and teachers
• To give students the ability to work on their documents both in school and at home - anytime and anywhere from any Internet connected device
• To help students work collaboratively, engage in peer-editing of documents, and publish for a wider audience within the Grosse Pointe Public School System
• To facilitate “paperless” transfer of work between students and teachers
• To provide adequate (seven gigabytes) long-term storage space for student work
• A potential cost savings in terms of software licensing and document storage
How are the Grosse Pointe Public School System and Google linked together?
The Google agreement with the Grosse Pointe Public School System provides access to Google applications and storage. While Google hosts these services off-site, the District maintains the ability to manage users, groups, and settings, much like other locally hosted systems. This means that GPPSS can grant and remove user access, and control other settings to ensure a safe and secure collaboration environment for students and teachers.
What personal student information and student education records will be stored in Google Apps for Education?
The terms of the Google contract with the Grosse Pointe Public School System mandate that we must have parental permission for the use of Google Apps for Education. On the Google permission form that parents are asked to sign, it states that "information about my child will be collected and stored electronically." Google does not request any personal information from students and the District does not provide personal student data (ex. birthdate, address, phone number, grades, test scores) to Google. That information resides in the GPPSS student information system and is not stored nor available to Google.
The permission form also states that "my student's education records stored in Google Apps for Education may be accessible to someone other than my student and the Grosse Pointe Public School System". Examples of student education records in Google are assignments, notes, calendars and projects created by the student.
How are students identified in Google Apps for Education?
Students will log in using the following pattern:
Student Number @gpschools.com
Password: GPPSS password