Forming the District
In 1921 five separate school districts served the Grosse Pointes. Realizing that better educational opportunities could be provided for children if the schools were consolidated, a number of citizens started a movement to join the five districts into one. The districts included District #1 (old Trombly and Cadieux Schools), District #2 (Kerby School), District #3 (Vernier School), Fractional District #7 of Grosse Pointe and Gratiot Townships (Hanstein School, north of Mack Avenue and now part of the City of Detroit), and Fractional District #9 (Cook School on Mack Avenue near Lochmoor). The re-organization was approved by the voters of the district on December 23, 1921.On January 27, 1922, the first Board of Education was elected. Members were George Defer, president; Charles Paye, secretary; Charles Poupard, treasurer (an office he held for 26 years); John Kerby, trustee; and Lewis Smart, trustee.